Aiming to produce a set of independent, practical recommendations for a better understanding of colic, its symptoms and remedies, www.centralmedical.co.uk commissioned a survey to be undertaken by www.c-a-g.co.uk In May 2010, 1000 respondents across 12 UK regions were surveyed and the key finding were:
- Almost half of all babies in the UK develop colic. 40% of mums with small babies are sure their babies have or have had colic, while a further 7% of mums are unsure whether some symptoms might have been colic
- Only two out of five mothers with young babies (42%) could correctly name one or more of the symptoms of colic
- According to mums in the survey, the most well known sign of colic is the baby’s legs curling up to their stomach (26%), followed by long periods of crying (23%)
- 46% of mums feel concerned about giving medicine to small babies and 28% think that other methods should be tried before medicine.
- A miniscule 15% of babies who used Dr Brown’s Natural Flow in their early months developed colic, a significantly smaller amount than the competitor’s bottles.
- Strangely, 28% of babies developed colic while being fully breast fed, more than those using Dr Brown’s Natural Flow bottles
- Colic led 62% of mothers to be frustrated that they couldn’t solve the problem, 29% felt that the crying caused a lot of stress in the household and a fifth (20%) felt guilty because they thought that they were doing something wrong.
- Concerned mothers were more likely to turn to their health visitor than their mum for advice about their colicky baby (47% vs. 29%)
- The most common treatment for colic used by the mums in the survey were anti-colic medicines (61%), followed by using massage (32%) and changing the baby’s bottle (28%)
- Dr Brown’s was the first choice (43%) for mums changing their baby’s bottle to relieve the symptoms of colic.
- Three quarters of babies with colic (75%) whose mums changed to Dr Brown’s Natural Flow saw improvement in their colicky symptoms after their bottles were changed.
- Over half (53%) of those changing to Dr Brown’s Natural Flow saw an improvement in three feeds or less, outperforming other brands.
- 36% of Dr Brown’s Natural Flow users noted a distinct change for the better after just one feed.
- On average it took 5.4 feeds for mums using Dr Brown’s to see an improvement in their babies’ colic symptoms, the shortest time of all bottles.